Saturday, June 12, 2010

Creamy Rice Pudding

This is a very easy dessert to make from scratch- I usually chill it before serving, but that's just because I don't like it hot.
There's a place in NYC called Rice to Riches that only serves and ships rice pudding. They have amazing names for their flavors and it made my mouth water- COCONUT COMA, TAKE ME TO TIRAMISU, FLUENT IN FRENCH TOAST and fun things like that.

So here's a simple recipe and I'll let YOU be the one to spice it up to your liking.

In Taiwan, the milk is rather expensive, so for cooking I usually use boxed milk that cost about $1.00 USD.

Creamy Rice Pudding- serves 3

2 cups milk
2 teaspoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1- 1/2 cups cooked rice
Option: 1/2 beaten egg

In a heavy weight saucepan, warm the milk over medium heat. Add the rest of the ingredients (NOT the egg) and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. I use a rubber whisk to break up the rice and cinnamon clumps and keep from scratching my pan. The pudding should be about the same consistency as Alfredo sauce but if you like it real thick, add the beaten egg to the pan and stir for about 3 more minutes over low heat. I always add the egg- it's much thicker this way and sets nicely for serving cold.

1 comment:

  1. That looks really good! I'll have to give it a try (without the egg for Bella's sake) soon. :)

    ReplyDelete