Thursday, May 6, 2010

"Let Go... Give it to Me"

Everyday my little girl will find something intriguing to play with and doesn't see any danger in it. But I know there will be consequences if I let her keep it any longer so I say, "let go, Savannah, give it to mommy." What's the immediate response? A scream and a tighter grip! She's only 14 months old- she doesn't need the speech that scissors will cut or she'll choke if that coin is swallowed. She just needs to obey and trust mommy in this situation. But she found it and claimed it as hers! It's SO HARD to let go, isn't it?

As I was kneeling there, trying to help her release her grip, I was struck with a mental picture. She was me and I was my Heavenly Father. He knows the things I am holding onto but He also knows what will hurt me or distract me. In His faithfulness, He sometimes asks me to let go; sometimes forces it out of my hand.

In a small way, I found more faith in just trusting Him with what I claim as important to me. In my heart, I was able to "open my hands" to Him. I want Him to have complete control. I find peace in that. As soon as I reclaimed the scissors, Savannah went on her way happy again and forgot how important those scissors once were.

Matthew 6 says,
Don't worry and ask yourselves, "Will we have anything to eat? Will we have anything to drink? Will we have any clothes to wear?" Only people who don't know God are always worrying about such things. Your Father in heaven knows that you need all of these. But more than anything else, put God's work first and do what he wants. Then the other things will be yours as well.

4 comments:

  1. I love this, Junes. Now I want to know why you're not writing for the VOICE staff blog... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, so true!!! my kids have taught me soooo much. this is a beautiful word picture. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good lesson! And SOOO true too! Thanks for sharing, Junes! I think you can make a living blogging...you should do it more often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...God's working on me with that, too....Thanks

    ReplyDelete